A great start to our Summer services!


Yesterday saw the first of our Summer Sunday Services - combining our usual Sunday@9.15, @11 and @4 services into one Sunday@10.30 service throughout August. (Just in case anyone is tempted to think the clergy are slacking over the summer, there was also an 8am and a 7pm service...)
                     

We also began our sermon series on Psalms 61-63.

Psalm 61 is full of evocative imagery for those who are struggling or weary:

Hear my cry, O God;
Listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. 


God the strength (the rock, the strong tower) of those who put their trust in him; God the security (refuge, sheltering wings) of those who look to him.
The Bible offers no illusions of a trouble-free life, but it describes a relationship with a personal God who is present when troubles come - the Psalms encourage us to cry out honestly, and the gospels reveal Jesus as God's personal response to our need, 'the rock that is higher than I'.




The service included a dedication and thanksgiving for the safe arrival of Bethany Tait, and those who came to support the family swelled the numbers of our post-service picnic.

Great weather and great company meant that the picnic went on until well into the afternoon. All in all a great start to our Summer Services at HT - same time next week...and another picnic on the 20th!















It was a great start 

Comments

Popular Posts