Time out!


Today I begin a 3-month Sabbatical, returning to Holy Trinity on 1st August. 

Below is a rough itinerary of how I plan to spend the time - a happy balance of study, rest, family time and a bit of travel!


Sabbatical Plans

May
Family holiday in Snowdonia; a visit to Northern Ireland; attendance at a week-long Leadership Conference in Keswick.

June
London Men’s Convention along with others from Holy Trinity; attendance at the 3rd GAFCON Conference in Jerusalem followed by a retreat in Galilee; time away with Libby.

July
 Time to read, reflect and to visit other churches; a day conference at Oak Hill College ‘Images of Glory’, looking at what it means for us to bear the image of God in the world.


Sabbatical leave follows the biblical principle of Sabbath - a time of rest, refreshment and renewal, and it is offered to Clergy in the Southwark Diocese after 14 years of Ordained Ministry. It was 16 years ago that I came to Holy Trinity as Curate and during that time covered for the Vicar as Gary Jenkins went on a 3 month Sabbatical!


In addition to the list above, I plan to spend time visiting my parents in Burton on Trent, and time away individually with Esme and Fergus doing something of their choosing. There is also a slim chance that Derby County will make it to the play-off final at Wembley on 26th May, and I hope to be there!


I am looking forward to visiting other larger Anglican evangelical churches with a view to seeing what we can learn for the way that we structure our services here at Holy Trinity.

I also look forward to having time to read - there is reading to do in preparation for the Keswick leadership conference, and I plan to work through a pile of books that others have recommended. I have also discovered the Mick Herron spy novels and plan to relax into the world of international espionage…

My Sabbatical is made all the more restful in the knowledge that Holy Trinity is in good hands.


The weekly staff and leadership team meeting will take place with Sarah Alexander chairing them; the PCC and PMC will continue their business under the chairmanship of Paul Taylor.
The work of preparing for our Holiday Club and autumn Mission will gather pace, the search for a new Families and Children’s Worker will continue, and repairs to the Vestry will begin.

Sundays will see some familiar faces returning to the pulpit – Gary Jenkins, David King and Luke Ijaz (former Vicar, and Associate Vicars) will be preaching, as will Andrew Harland and Charlie Robinson who both grew up at Holy Trinity. I am gutted that I shall not be here – don’t miss them yourselves!

But the church is the body of Christ, and he has equipped his body very well with all that we needs to continue our week by week worship, witness and welcome.


Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 1 Cor.12:27

I look forward to seeing you on my return, and will be praying for Holy Trinity whilst I am away. I hope to return from the Sabbatical feeling rested in body, refreshed in mind, and renewed in spirit – do pray!






Comments

Popular Posts